Frequently Asked Questions:


What is the difference between residence and permanent residence?

Residence is a type of visa which allows you to live and work in New Zealand permanently.  However, when you first get residence your visa comes with 2 years of travel conditions.  Travel conditions are what allow you to come and go freely in and out of New Zealand. When those travel conditions expire, to be able to get indefinite travel conditions, you need to apply for what's called Permanent Residence.  To qualify, you must have shown sufficient commitment to New Zealand in the two years before applying.  There are 5 "commitments" but the easiest to remember and most commonly met is spending 184+ days in NZ in each year before you apply.  


Can you find me a job or sponsorship in New Zealand?

The answer is "no" - we do not directly place any of our Clients in jobs here in New Zealand.  It is up to you to apply for your own job.  However, we do provide Job Search support to help you with your own job search.  Partnering with us will help connect you with the right people in New Zealand to further your Job search.  We make sure you apply for the right type of jobs and are on hand to liaise with recruiters and employers to support your applicaions.  Employers are less likely to want to hire you if you haven't done your groundwork so we also work with you to make sure you are "visa ready" if offered a job. 


How do I get around the fact that New Zealand employers won't take my application for a job unless I have a work visa?

Employers are often reluctant to get involved in the visa process because they are not in a position to know whether you or your family will qualify for a visa. For this reason they often state in their adverts that they will not accept applications from candidates who do not already hold a New Zealand work visa.  We work with employers to educate them about the process and to ensure they understand your eligibility for a visa.  By preparing you ahead of applying for jobs for both the job search and visa process, it is possible to break through the apparent Catch-22 of "no visa no job" when you need the job to get the visa. The majority of our clients who get job offers did not have a work or residence visa when they secured the job.  


Can I get a job through skype or telephone interview?

Some of our Clients do receive job offers by remote through skype or telephone interview but the vast majority come to New Zealand to look for work. Employers are much more likely to take an active interest in you if you are already here in New Zealand or are prepared to come out for interview at your own expense. There are many reasons why, but principally they prefer candidates who are already familiar with New Zealand and are committed to this country as a destination . If you are simply a global job hunter, looking for the next best deal, New Zealand employers will rarely take the bait.  


Can I get a work visa without a job?

In some cases it is possible to get a work visa without a job.   New Zealand has Working Visa Holiday schemes for 40 different nationalities, mostly for the 18-30 age group (some extend to 35).    There is also the Silver Fern Job Search visa for those aged 20-35 with either a recognised trades qualification or a Bachelors Degree or higher plus IELTS 6.5.  Otherwise, the only work visas that do not require a job offer are for partners of New Zealand citizens, residents and some student and work visa holders.  If you are prepared to come to New Zealand as an international student for a course of 2 years' academic duration of level 7+, your reward will be a 1 year open work visa on graduating.  Many international students, if strategic about the course they study, are able to forge a pathway to residence through international studies and the post-study work visa options on offer.


How much money will it cost me to migrate out to New Zealand?

This is of course, is as long as a piece of string.  It will depend on the category you migrate under,  whether you are single or a family unit.  However, in general terms, you need to think very carefully about whether you have enough money to migrate out comfortably.  A family of four coming through the skilled migrant category would be well advised, for example, to budget at least NZD30-40,000 to make the move - that allows for temporary and residence visa applications, flights, travel insurance, shipping of personal belongings, temporary housing on arrival, buying a car to get around etc. etc.  If shipping out luxury items such as pets, then you need to allow more.  Many migrants seem to underestimate the true costs of migrating.  


Do I need to meet English language requirements to move to New Zealand?

All applicants aged 16+ unless either partners or dependent children of New Zealanders or 10 million dollar investors need to meet English language requirements of one sort or another.  Principal Applicants for Skilled Migrant residence need IELTS 6.5 (overall score, general test).  Secondary applicants (partners or dependent children aged 16+) need IELTS 5 or else can pre-purchase language tuition (rates vary according to how far below IELTS 5 their score is but ranging from about NZD1750 to NZD6500).  Parent applicants need IELTS 4.  In all cases IELTS is only one way to prove competence.  If you have studied or worked in English, you may not have to sit an IELTs test.  Talk to us and we can advise you of the best way in your particular circumstances.  Note that temporary visa applicants do NOT have to meet English language reqirements.  Note also that Immigration NZ is currently looking at alternative tests to IELTS but that in the meantime, IELTS is the only test that is recognised.


What family can I bring out with me if I move to New Zealand?

In very general terms you can bring out any spouse or partner if you can demonstrate you have been living together in a genuine and stable relationship. You can also bring out any dependent children who are single, have no children of their own and are within the age limits for the particular visa type you hold - for example, children can be included in residence visa applications up to the age of 25 years.  For temporary visas however, they have to be under 19 yrs of age.  Parents cannot join you until you yourself have gained residence and for the most part, you will need to have been a resident for 3 years and be earning at least NZD65k to sponsor them (unless they can fund themselves - see our Parent Category page for more details).


What is the benefit of using a Licensed Immigration Adviser - can't I just make the visa application myself?

It is a free world in terms of being able to make a visa application yourself.  There is no rule or law that says you must use an immigration adviser.  Clients have many motivations, however, for wanting to use a Licensed Immigration Adviser.   In most cases it's because they just feel unsure of the many "ins and outs" and prefer to let the experts handle their case. Some clients simply don't have the time, along with all the other things they have to deal with when organising a move to the other side of the world. Either way, we are happy to provide the level of service to suit your needs and wants.   Crafting  a strong immigration application is our speciality but if you want to make your own visa applications, we can offer a checking service for your own peace of mind. We are also able to advise on much more than just visas - we provide the full range of pre-migration through to settelement support to make your transition to New Zealand life as smooth as possible.